Review of the different classifications of substances of abuse and their usefulness in different action areas: therapeutic, preventive, socio-political, and legal. Psychological, physiological, and pharmacological concepts of addictive behavior. Critical analysis on use, abuse, and associated problems. Evaluative review of European policies for reducing drug consumption and trafficking. Analysis and review of harm reduction strategies carried out in a European context. Critical evaluation of prevention and treatment programs. Ethical considerations with respect to interventions in addiction problems.
Competencies and learning outcomes
- Acquire the necessary skills to design and conduct research that permits evaluating aspects related with the behavior of consumption and its consequences.
- Acquire the necessary skills for designing and implementing prevention and health promotion interventions on aspects related to the behavior of addiction and its consequences.
- Be capable of carrying out work from the perspective of quality and continuous improvement with the self-critical capacity necessary for responsible professional performance.
- Explain, compare, and contrast theories and other aspects related with the use of alcohol/drugs and with addiction.
- Demonstrate critical analysis of the complexity in the evaluation of the consumption of alcohol and other drugs in different European Union countries.
- Reflexively consider the importance of a European perspective in the work and approach towards aspects related with substance abuse and addiction.
- Demonstrate awareness of ethical considerations regarding research in the field of addictions.
- Acquire skills for developing policies, strategies, and interventions for the consumption of alcohol and other drugs that are duly substantiated scientifically.
- Be capable of analyzing and comparing different established policies with respect to the consumption of substances on state and European levels.
- Critically evaluate the varying legislation and strategies applied in different European Union countries.
- Evaluate and implement initiatives at organizations intended to reduce problems related with the use of alcohol and other drugs.