The course covers basic and specialized knowledge about carcinomas in the thyroid gland, breast, pancreas, and bile ducts. Topics addressed specifically include epidemiological aspects, advancements in molecular biology, precursor diseases, clinical data and complementary tests that lead to suspecting the existence of one of these tumors, tests for their diagnosis, sensitivity, specificity and predictive value, different histological modalities, multidisciplinary approach to treatment, standard surgical techniques; their indications, contraindications and procedures; postoperative complications, prognostic factors, adjuvant treatment and its indications, recent advances, and the most current research lines on these tumors.
Competencies and learning outcomes
- Complex problem solving.
- Decision making in multidisciplinary fields.
- Know how to apply acquired knowledge and have the ability to resolve problems in new environments within broader contexts related with research in health sciences.
- Be capable of integrating knowledge and handling complexity when forming judgments from information that, being limited, includes reflections about social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of your knowledge and judgments.
- Know how to communicate conclusions and the reasons that sustain them, to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear manner.
- Possess learning skills that permit continuing studying autonomously.
- Know the biology and pathology of endocrine tumors of the breast and pancreas that may affect the evolution of disease and its treatment.
- Understand the accuracy of diagnostic tests and their sequential use in staging studied tumors.
- Identify and evaluate the effectiveness of treatment from a multidisciplinary approach in the tumors studied, as well as the type of monitoring these types of patients should follow.
- Understand and analyze the most important lines of research in the course of tumors studied, focused on their evolutionary biology, diagnosis, and treatment.
Objectives (Learning outcomes)
- Students will learn the most current etiopathogenic theories on the occurrence of thyroid cancer
- Students learn about the advances in diagnosis and indications
- Students distinguish the different surgical techniques used in the treatment of thyroid cancer
- Students learn about the different types of cervical lymph node dissection, indications and possible complications
- Students will learn how to diagnose and treat the major complications of thyroid surgery
- Students will be capable of staging a patient with thyroid cancer and design a follow up
- Students learn about new developments in nuclear medicine diagnosis and treatment of thyroid cancer
- Students know the distinctive features of patients with medullary thyroid cancer
- Students know the perioperative management of patients with pheochromocytoma
- Students will learn the most current etiopathogenic theories on the occurrence of breast cancer
- Students know the main diagnostic techniques used in breast cancer and the general treatment of a patient with breast cancer
- Students will learn the advantages and disadvantages and indications of the different surgical techniques used in breast cancer
- Students will know the status of breast cancer in Valencia
- Students will learn about the different options in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer
- Students will learn the Alicante program for early detection of breast cancer
- Students will learn about the different technical options and indications for oncoplastic surgery and reconstructive surgery in breast cancer
- Students will learn what is the basic epigenetic and applied one about thyroid cancer, breast cancer and pancreatic cancer
- Students know the general problem of diagnosis, treatment and outcome of intestinal and pancreatic endocrine tumours
- Students will learn the latest advances in nuclear medicine diagnosis and treatment of intestinal and pancreatic endocrine tumors
- Students will learn different experimental models for the study of liver disease and pancreatic pathophysiology
- Students will learn about the different surgical techniques and medical options for treating endocrine tumors
- Bèuchler, Markus 1955- / Uhl, W. (Waldemar) / Malfertheiner, P. (Peter) 1950- / Sarr, Michael G. 1950-. "Diseases of the pancreas acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, neoplasms of the pancreas". Basel ; New York Karger cop. 2004.
- Bland, K. I. / Copeland, Edward M. 1937-. "La mama manejo multidisciplinario de las enfermedades benignas y malignas". Buenos Aires [etc.] Editorial Médica Panamericana cop. 2007.
- Gemsenjèager, Ernst. "Atlas of thyroid surgery". Stuttgart; New York Thieme cop. 2008.
- Oerli, D.; Udelsman, R. "Surgery of the thyroid and parathyroid glands". Springer.
- Sabiston, David C. 1924- / Townsend, Courtney M. ed. lit. "Tratado de cirugía fundamentos biológicos de la práctica quirúrgica moderna". Amsterdam ; Madrid [etc.] Elsevier cop. 2009.
- Tresguerres, J. A. F., ed. lit. "Tratado de endocrinología básica y clínica". Madrid Síntesis D.L. 2000.
- Yamaguchi, Koji. Tanaka, Masao. "Atlas of Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas". Bsel Karger .
- Candela Polo, Fernando. Calpena Rico, Rafael dir. "Efecto de la atropina y vagotomía troncular en la función exocrina del páncreas estimulado con triptofano intraintestinal estudio experimental en perros". Alicante Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Cirugía 1987.
- Compañ Rosique, Antonio F. Medrano Heredia, Justo dir. "Efecto de la estimulación intraluminal colónica sobre la secreción pancreática exocrina y las concentraciones plasmáticas de neurotensina y péptido YY". Alicante Facultad de Medicina, Departamento de Medicina y Cirugía 1995.
- Ferrer Riquelme, Rafael Luis. Medrano Heredia, Justo dir. / Diego Estevez, Manuel dir. "Estudio sobre la interacción hormonal endo-exocrina en el páncreas de la rata modelo "in vivo" de estimulación exógena sin filtro hepático". Alicante Facultad de Medicina, Departamento de Patología y Cirugía 1996.
- Graells Ferrer, María Luisa. Medrano Heredia, Justo dir. / Pardo Correcher, José María dir. "Alteraciones bioquímicas del páncreas endocrino y exocrino en la pancreatitis aguda experimental". Alicante Facultad de Medicina, Departamento de Medicina y Psiquiatría 1988.
- Moltó Aguado, Mario Vicente. Compañ Rosique, Antonio F. dir. / Diego Estevez, Manuel dir. / Ferrer Riquelme, Rafael Luis dir. "Efectos de la insulina y del glucagón sobre la secreción exocrina pancreática modelo de páncreas de rata aislado y perfundido". San Juan de Alicante Facultad de Medicina, Departamento de Patología y Cirugía 2003.
Methodology and grading
- 1. At least 70% of attendance and theoretical classes, workshops and seminars is mandatory
2. Multiple choice test and / or type PRAC (50% of the grade of the course)
3. Development of an article (25% of the grade of the course)
4. Lecture about the article to the group of students enrolled (25% of the grade of the course)