The UMH Scientific Park is an ecosystem for business innovation and growth for startups, a location conceived to innovate and grow. Since its launch in 2008, one of its main objectives has been to stimulate the flow of knowledge and technology between the university, research institutions, businesses, and markets. Its DNA also plays a privileged role, promoting business projects and innovative entrepreneurs that facilitate industrial development within the province of Alicante, helping as such to diversify and increase the numbers of quality jobs there. The objective of this is to strengthen relationships between science, technology, and business, thus improving the occupational and business outlooks for university graduates.
In order to achieve its objectives, the Scientific Park has established two main lines of action:
- Become a driving force that promotes the creation of new businesses that provide solutions to market and societal demands through their innovation.
- Aid existing businesses to keep growing, consolidate, and become leaders themselves in their respective sectors.
The UMH Scientific Park is a space designed to accommodate technology-based companies, and it has a strong foundation for innovation and knowledge. Its facilities offer businesses the possibility of satisfying all the needs that the growth and objectives of its companies require. This is accomplished with the objective of creating an ecosystem that permits businesses to expand their activity in the best manner possible. The nature of these needs may be multiple:
- Workspaces: Startups and spin-offs have the Scientific Park installations fully available to them, and these include spaces for offices, coworking, meetings, eating, etc. Also worth mentioning is its infrastructure destined for the bio sector, which offers highly equipped biotechnology laboratories, for both turnkey projects as well as laboratories featuring common technical equipment.
- Business services: Companies at the park benefit from various services, such as expert advice on growing the business, searches for economic support, assistance in communication and dissemination, etc. The objective of its Business Growth service is to accelerate the expansion of entrepreneurial initiatives, and maximize the possibilities for business survival and consolidation. All companies can also benefit from the service of searching for funding, both public and private, for the creation or growth of their endeavors.
- Networking: Direct communication with other businesses or research groups that operate within the same sector and with which future collaboration can be established. In fact, the Scientific Park's ecosystem, formed by companies that are very diverse in nature, facilitates the creation of these possible synergies.
What's more, since its founding, the Scientific Park has sought to promote activities that foster contact between the park and society, and thus contribute to improving its immediate surroundings.
- Workshops and training breakfasts are regularly held that are open to the public and free of charge. These sessions discuss various issues such as the search for public and private funding, legal aspects concerning the constitution of companies, ecommerce and online communication, the preparation of R&D projects, among others.
- The park also promotes other tremendously successfully types of activities. One such example of these is its School Geek initiative to advance STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), which is currently teaching some 500 primary school students at 17 schools within the provinces of Alicante and Murcia.