The Mediterranean Center for Environmental Studies (CEAM) is an institute of applied research, which was constituted as a Foundation in 1991 by the Generalitat Valenciana and BANCAJA with the support of the Secretariat of State for Universities and Research and the European Commission (Directorate General for Research). The CEAM was created with the aim of undertaking research and development projects on environmental issues of special relevance for the Valencian Community and the Mediterranean region in general. In February 2011, the CEAM became constituted as a university research institute (IUI-CEAM).
The CEAM houses the EUropean PHOtoREactor (EUPHORE), one of the largest simulation chambers in the world for the study of atmospheric chemistry processes. Its scientists participated in the design of the first remote sensor able to measure SO2 and NO2 in the atmosphere (COSPEC). Other CEAM research areas include the evaluation of plant injuries caused by air pollution, the study and forecasting of extreme weather phenomena, the study of climate change and the carbon cycle, the fight against desertification and the restoration of ecosystems affected by forest fires. IUI-CEAM has a staff of 80; 65% (senior, junior, and collaborating researchers) are directly involved in research activities, and the other 35% carry out research support tasks.
During the last 5-year period, IUI-CEAM's average annual inflow of financial resources has amounted to 2.2 million euros, of which 43% correspond to technical assistance, 34% to National Plan and Valencia Plan projects, 16% to European Union projects, and the remaining 7% to other sources. To date, the IUI-CEAM has participated in 57 European Union Framework projects (in 7 as coordinator). Outstanding among IUI-CEAM's funding sources during recent years have been the CONSOLIDER-INGENIO 2010 scientific excellence programs of the National R&D Plan (GRACCIE project) and the Valencia Plan (FEEDBACKS project), together with the European projects FUME, EUROCHAMP and ICOS.
In the last five years, the IUI-CEAM has published a yearly average of 38 scientific articles, all included in the SCI.