Learn the main environmental quality parameters of water and the main polluting agents and pathways.
Water quality. Parameters. Environmental indicators. Contaminating agents.
Important for water research but specially in relation with the presence of pollutants.
Competencies and learning outcomes
- Understand the function, structure, and dynamics of ecosystems, both terrestrial and marine, and territories that are traditionally manipulated to exploit their resources.
- Understand and value diversity in all the senses of living things, not only referring to other organisms, but also in social and cultural diversity.
- Be capable of designing and developing sustainable strategies for Mediterranean ecosystem management in both protected natural areas as well as areas of human influence.
- Assess global change, analyzing the speed of the processes and changes caused by human activity within the territory.
- Manage in practice, in order to solve environmental problems, the technology and methods that currently range from genomic and proteomic analysis in organisms all the way to remote sensing technologies.
- Develop the capacity for multidisciplinary teamwork that adds specialists from diverse competence areas of the environment.
- Be capable of resolving environmental problems related with business and governmental activities.
- Oral and written communication skills in English.
- Skills related with computing tools and information and communication technologies, as well as accessing online databases, such as scientific literature, patent databases, and legislation.
- Oral and written communication skills in Spanish. Capacity to produce and defend projects in the field of scientific research.
- Understand and be capable of assessing the uses and demands of water for various purposes within the Mediterranean context.
- Identify improvement strategies for water management.
- Understand the technical tools for sustainable water use and their potential for improvement and innovation.
- Be capable of writing a treatment and purification project for urban and industrial water based on new technical criteria and environmental sustainability.
- Understand the legislation applicable to the production and management of various types of waste.
- Be capable of developing good technical management of various types of waste.
- Identify and quantify environmental and legal aspects for environmental planning and the territorial prospective.
- Capability to analyze, implement, and adapt an environmental management system to various types of businesses and official organisms.
- Be able to characterize the environmental function and situation of businesses and institutions.
- Understand and apply international ISO and EMAS standards concerning environmental certification.
- Be able to prepare an environmental impact study and new environmental correction proposals.
- Understand and be capable of applying the methodology for carrying out a strategic environmental assessment.
- Acquire the capacity to understand, analyze, and manage environmental pollution problems and search for solutions that minimize them from the environmental, application, and economic points of view.
- Be able to propose corrective measures that minimize air, water, and soil pollution.
- Apply digital/statistical processing techniques to aerial and satellite imagery for analyzing territory and determining land use.
- Develop innovative planning proposals based on the advance of knowledge and the application of new technologies that permit proper handling and management of spaces and sustainable territorial development.
- Understand the viability of organic farming as a means of sustainable management in rural areas and new crop systems.
- Identify and assess aspects related with the biota and environmental management as keys to furthering the study of natural and anthropic environments.
Objectives (Learning outcomes)
- The student will know the quality parameters of the waters and the main agents and pollutant ways, with the aim to be able to analyze, study and model the behavior of the pollutant agents, the study of the flows and the routes of pollution.
- Cánovas Cuenca, Juan. "Calidad agronómica de las aguas de riego". Madrid Mundi-Prensa Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación 1990.
- Rodier, J. Geoffray, Ch. / Rodi, L. "Análisis de las aguas : aguas naturales, aguas residuales, agua de mar : química, fisicoquímica, bacteriología, biología". Barcelona Omega D.L. 1998.
- Seoánez Calvo, Mariano. "Ingeniería del medio ambiente aplicada al medio natural continental la contaminación del medio natural continental : aire, aguas, suelos, vegetación y fauna. Tecnologías de identificación, lucha y corrección". Madrid Mundi-Prensa 1996.
Methodology and grading
- Case studies: Learning through the analysis of actual or simulated cases in order to interpret and resolve them by employing various alternative solution procedures.
- Lecture: Pass on knowledge and activate cognitive processes in students, encouraging their participation.
- Problem-based learning: Develop active learning strategies through problem solving that promote thinking, experimentation, and decision making in the student.
- Project-based learning: Realization of a project to solve a problem, applying acquired learning and promoting abilities related to planning, design, performing activities, and reaching conclusions.
- Solving exercises and problems: Exercise, test, and apply previous knowledge through routine repetition.
- Type of evaluation: theoretical final evaluation (50 %); resolution of problems (50 %).